Environment is one of 8 topics we have researched to provide evidence in support of our Neighbourhood Plan.
To investigate this topic, we have:
- Researched the topic, identified land ownership, conservation areas etc. Scoped what evidence is already available.
- Identified any existing local issues relating to the environment. For example, rural areas of the parish considered to be at risk of urban sprawl.
- Identified, recorded and mapped 7 Local Green Spaces. Through Neighbourhood Plans, local communities are able to identify for special protection green areas of particular importance to them.
- Identified, recorded and mapped 13 Important Public Views. These are valued views of and from the defined settlements of Ashford and Boughton Lees which contribute to local character and amenity.
- Found out about any existing plans, strategies and programmes and their relationship to the environment and the Neighbourhood Plan.
- Identified any gaps in the evidence base and considered whether any further research needs to be undertaken or reports commissioned.
- Identified local key players on this topic to engage in the Neighbourhood Planning process.
Based on our research, we have come up with the following objectives for the Neighbourhood Plan.
To protect the character of the landscape and conserve and enhance the natural beauty of the Area of Outstanding Natural Beauty which provides the setting for houses at Goat Lees, the village of Boughton Lees and hamlets of Boughton Aluph and Kempe’s Corner.
To conserve and enhance the heritage of our parish, including the Boughton Lees Conservation Area.
To protect Local Green Spaces within the built up areas of the parish.
To protect distinctive, locally valued views.
To ensure high quality design in all forms of development which responds to the distinctive landscape, heritage and character of the parish.
Other useful sources of information on the environment include:
- Ashford Borough Council Landscape Character Supplementary Planning Document (April 2011)
- Ashford Borough Council Landscape Character Study
- Kent Downs AONB Management Plan
- Ashford Borough Council interactive Planning Information Map (shows AONB, SSSIs, Flood Zones, Nature Reserves)
- Kent Wildlife Trust
- AS27 River Great Stour Ashford to Fordwich 2006 citation
- AS27 River Great Stour Ashford to Fordwich overview map
- AS58 Tile Lodge Wood, Eastwell 2006 citation
- AS58 Tile Lodge Wood, Eastwell map
Let us know your views
If we have missed something or got something wrong, please let us know. Add a comment in the box below or email the report author. Our aim is to create a strong evidence base to underpin the final Neighbourhood Plan document.